Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Fancy cake






I made my very first professional looking cake Sunday night. It came out really well. Its a red velvet round cake with cream cheese icing, pink roses and "Happy Birthday" in green.

I've been wanting to take cake decorating classes for years now but could never find the time because of my schedule. I've learned a lot of things from very helpful Youtube videos like embroidery and spinning yarn so I figured, Why not learn about cake decorating? I found tons of videos, most very informative, and followed those. I ran into one problem. I was using store bought "whipped" cream cheese icing which was a little too soft to do anything 3 dimensional. Even after I added about a cup of confectioners sugar my roses seemed to melt off the rose nail. I had to chill my icing in the fridge to make it more firm, and them when I made my rose I had to get it into the freezer as soon as I made it so it wouldn't fall off the nail. I must have made about 100 roses, but only ended up with about 10 on the cake. I worked out well though, just in the future I will have to make my own icing and not use that funky store bought stuff.

I'm bringing the cake to work tonight for Barb's birthday. I'm sure everyone will enjoy it, I'm just hoping that I get it there alright. I'm totally looking forward to making more cakes. I want to learn how to make gum paste flowers and work with fondant. Look out Sylvia Weinstock! LOL

No comments: